When it's cold and dreary, or you're just trying to clear out some fridge space, make the ultimate comfort food: Shepherd's Pie!
1lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
2 mushrooms, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, diced
1 tbsp Rick's Rub™ Original
1 can condensed mushroom soup
2-3 large potatoes
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté ground beef until just a bit of pink left. Drain fat, then add onions to skillet to sauté until transparent. Add carrots, celery, yellow bell pepper, mushrooms and Rick's Rub™ Original seasoning to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, being careful not to burn.
- Turn heat on skillet to medium low and add can of condensed mushroom soup and 1/2 can of water. Stir to combine and allow to simmer.
- In a large sauce pot, prepare the mashed potato topping by boiling potatoes until fork-tender. Once cooked, drain water and mash potatoes with butter and milk until desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In an oven safe casserole dish, transfer beef filling and spread evenly. Carefully layer mashed potatoes on top of beef mixture and spread evenly to 1/2 inch from the edge of the dish. This gap will help keep the filling from overflowing onto the potatoes.
- Once the potato is spread evenly, place a few small pats of butter on top of the potatoes to help brown in the oven. Chef's Tip: sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese over potatoes for added texture and flavour!
- Place casserole dish in the center of the oven and bake until potatoes have browned slightly.
Serve hot and enjoy with a side salad.
Makes great leftovers, too!