When it's cold and dreary, or you're just trying to clear out some fridge space, make the ultimate comfort food: Shepherd's Pie!
1lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
2 mushrooms, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, diced
1 tbsp Rick's Rub Original
1 can condensed mushroom soup
2-3 large potatoes
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté ground beef until just a bit of pink left. Drain fat, then add onions to skillet to sauté until transparent. Add carrots, celery, yellow bell pepper, mushrooms and Rick's Rub Original seasoning to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, being careful not to burn.
- Turn heat on skillet to medium low and add can of condensed mushroom soup and 1/2 can of water. Stir to combine and allow to simmer.
- In a large sauce pot, prepare the mashed potato topping by boiling potatoes until fork-tender. Once cooked, drain water and mash potatoes with butter and milk until desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In an oven safe casserole dish, transfer beef filling and spread evenly. Carefully layer mashed potatoes on top of beef mixture and spread evenly to 1/2 inch from the edge of the dish. This gap will help keep the filling from overflowing onto the potatoes.
- Once the potato is spread evenly, place a few small pats of butter on top of the potatoes to help brown in the oven. Chef's Tip: sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese over potatoes for added texture and flavour!
- Place casserole dish in the center of the oven and bake until potatoes have browned slightly.
Serve hot and enjoy with a side salad.
Makes great leftovers, too!