2 cups Sunflower seeds
1 tsp Sunflower oil
1-2 tbsp Rick’s Rub Asian (or your choice of Rick’s Rub Seasoning)
pinch Sea salt (if necessary)
Directions: Shelling Sunflower Seeds (Skip this step if seeds already shelled)
- Using only ½ cup of sunflower seeds at a time, place seeds in a Ziploc bag. Lay bag flat and spread seeds to make a single layer.
- Make sure the bag is sealed and proceed to lightly roll over the seeds using a rolling pin. This will crack the shells.
- Pour the cracked shelled seeds into a bowl of water. The kernels will sink to the bottom while the shells will float on top.
- Sift the shells from the water surface and drain the kernels. Lightly pat kernels dry with paper towel.
- Set oven to bake at 350˚.
- Add sunflower kernels to a mixing bowl or plastic bag, along with a teaspoon of sunflower oil. Mix the kernels until evenly coated in oil.
- Spread sunflower kernels over a parchment paper-covered banking sheet and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Once removed from the oven, shake kernels to prevent burning.
- While the kernels are still hot, season with a tablespoon of Rick’s Rub Asian, add a pinch of sea salt to suit your taste.
These Rick’s Rub Asian seasoned sunflower seeds are the perfect snack to-go, but also pair great with dark chocolate, salads, snack mixes, and baked goods.